15–19 November 2011 in Austin, TX
Tweets by @RetoKromer
- Two workshops are run today: «Can My Archive Live Forever?» and «Working on the Austin History Center’s 16mm Film Library».
- Very close to the #amia11 hotel. RT @KitOConnell: Circling up in the middle of thed street at south side of bridge. #ows #occupyaustin
- Starting very soon: «A #PBCore Cataloging Workshop». And this afternoon: «The Reel Thing Technical Symposium».
- «The Reel Thing» has remembered
Alan Stark (1945–2011)
preservationist, musician, mensch
- As long as the digital tools improve, the more important become ethical considerations on preservation and restoration.
- Chemical sound fade by bleaching the negative has been the state of the art at the beginning of sound cinema.
- Perhaps we aren’t foolish: we are not the only that record back onto 16 mm film after the digital restoration has been done.
- Is there someone out who is using PiratePad in order to take notes from the sessions?
- EN 15907 Standard: #Film identification – Enhancing interoperability of #metadata – Element sets and structures
- A new version will be published soon. «YouTube Creator Playbook», v1.0, July 2011
[sorry, dead link] (PDF, 14.3 MB)
- The Preservation Committee wishes to distillate solid founded resources for the field from the AMIA-L’s greatest hits.
- After the tsunami in Japan: shortage of magnetic tapes. After the flooding in Thailand: shortage of hard disk drives.
- The #Audiovisual #Artifact Atlas is fundamental for the field!
- «The Digital Dilemma 2» report (perspective of independent filmmakers, documentarians, nonprofit AV archives) published in Dec 2011.
- Alas, the Digital Issues Committee seems to have some difficulties. Volunteers are invited to contact the chair or the board liaison.
- .@archivesnews (NARA) has published some useful resources
- Outstanding session «Digitization, Reboot!» with @dericed, @AVGeeks and @footage. E.g. quick tutorial on #ffmpeg command line.
- FFmpeg (w/ libavcodec) is a complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream #audio and #video
- The tsunami in Japan caused also a shortage of spare parts for video recorders. Digitalise your old video cassette collections now!
- The amazing session «Fatally Flawed Film Formats» included also the Swiss 16 mm 3-D format by Bolex with Kern lenses.
- For the first time in my life I have seen a Pathé’s 4.75 mm film… in an old fashioned analogue projection! Just awesome!!!
- Dinner at @threadgills with a party of students and colleagues.
- Complains during the General Membership Meeting about bad and expensive WiFi, and suggestions for next year by @rufusderham et al.
- Many thanks to all: speakers and attendees, organisers and sponsors of #amia11. Safe travel home. And see you next year with improved 2.0!